Full Text Searchable PDF User Manual
ORIGINAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE
H A N D M A D E
C A T E R I N G B R E W E R S
te of coffee
Handmade in the Netherlands
The Technivorm Moccamaster factory
is centrally located in the heart of the
Netherlands and serves customers all over
The philosophy of the inventor, Gerald-
Clement Smit, to produce high-quality,
long-lasting and reliable products, has
been guiding the manufacturing of every
coffeemaker since 1964. Even today,
each coffee brewer is handmade and
individually tested in a live situation, using
only the finest materials available. Energy
efficiency and recyclability play an important role in the design of
each Technivorm Moccamaster Coffeemaker.
Founder of the company and
designer of the products.
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PURCHASE OF THE
WORLD’S FINEST FILTER COFFEE BREWER!
WHAT’S IMPORTANT WHEN SELECTING A COFFEE BREWER?
• Temperature (92-96 °C)
• Saturation Time (4 to 6 minutes)
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
Dit apparaat voldoet aan de volgende EEG richtlijnen:
This appliance is in accordance with the following Directives:
Dieses Gerät wurde in Übereinstimmung gemaß folgende Richtlinien gebaut:
Cet appareil est conforme aux directives:
• READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS.
• Unwrap the coffee maker with care and remove all packaging
materials. Keep the packaging (plastic bags and cardboard)
out of reach of children.
• The appliance is intended to be used in household and similar
applications such as:
• staff kitchen areas in shops, offices and other working
• farm houses
• by clients in hotels, motels and other residential type
• bed & breakfast environments.
• Use the machine indoors only.
• Appliance can be used by persons with reduced physical
sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and
knowledge if they have been given supervision or instruction
concerning use of the appliance in a safe way.
• This appliance can be used by children aged from 8 years
and above if they have been given supervision or instruction
concerning use of the appliance in a safe way and if they
understand the hazards involved.
• Cleaning and user maintenance shall not be carried out by
children unless they are older than 8 years and supervised.
Keep the appliance and its cord out of reach of children aged
less than 8 years.
• Children shall not play with the appliance.
• Check to see if the voltage of the appliance matches your
mains voltage. The appliance must be plugged into a socket
with safety ground.
• Unplug from socket when not in use and before cleaning the
surface of the appliance.
• Allow to cool before putting on or taking off parts, and before
cleaning the surface of the appliance.
• The appliance, cord and plug may never be partially or
entirely submerged in water or other liquid.
• Do not operate the appliance with a damaged cord or plug
or if the appliance malfunctions or is damaged in any way.
Contact your supplier or importer.
• If the cord is damaged, it must be replaced with a special
cord, which is available from the manufacturer or importer.
Never attempt to repair the appliance yourself, repair must be
carried out by skilled technicians. Return the appliance to the
nearest service facility for examination, repair or adjustment.
• Place the appliance on a flat surface in a frost-free room.
• Do not place the appliance on a hot surface, near gas- or
electric cookers or in an oven.
WHEN USING ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES, BASIC SAFETY
PRECAUTIONS SHOULD ALWAYS BE FOLLOWED,
INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING:
READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING
• Do not remove brew-basket or carafe while brewing
• Do not pour any liquids other than water or recommended
cleaning product into water reservoir.
• Scalding may occur if any of these parts are removed dur-
ing brewing cycles.
• The glass jug is designed for use with this appliance.
• Do not put a hot jug on a cold surface. Never place the
glass jug over open flame or hot range cook-top or other
• Do not use a cracked glass jug or a jug with loose handle.
• Do not clean the jug with abrasive cleaners, steel wool or
NOT DISWASHER SAFE
• Do not use the thermos for storing dairy products or baby
food, as these will curdle if kept for a longer period of time.
• Do not use for carbonated beverages.
• Do not transport the thermos in a horizontal or up-
side-down position as it can lead to leakage. Use the spe-
cial transport lid.
• Do not drink directly from the thermos. Liquid from the
carafe may be very hot.
• Never place the thermos onto a hot/warm cooking ring,
gas cooker or other heat source.
• Never place the thermos in an oven or microwave.
• Do not clean thermos with abrasive cleaners, steel wool or
NOT DISWASHER SAFE.
• Do not run the cord across hot surfaces or let it hang over the
edge of table or counter, were it could be pulled on by children.
• Do not use the appliance for any purpose other than its
• Do not touch the hot parts of the appliance, such as the
hotplate or the brew basket holder.
BEFORE YOU USE
Before using your new coffee brewer for the first time,
or if the machine has not been used for some time, we
recommend first rinsing the water receptacle. Fill the coffee
brewer with cold water and operate once or twice without
POWER SUPPLY CORD
The short power supply cord is provided to reduce risks
resulting from becoming entangled in or tripping over
a longer cord. If an extension cord is used, the marked
electrical rating of the extension cord must be at least as
great as the rating of the coffee brewer. The extension cord
must be a grounding type 3 cord.
The extension cord should be arranged so it doesn’t drape
over the counter or table top where it can be pulled over by
children or tripped over.
IMPORTANT: This coffee brewer is equipped with a special
cord and plug, which in case of damage should be replaced
by a matching cord and plug. This can be obtained from
your Moccamaster service point.
• Please discard the filter and coffee grounds by
disposing of them in an organic waste container or
compost heap. If not available, you may dispose of
filters and grounds in normal household waste.
• For environmental concerns, please recycle responsibly.
Do not throw away the appliance with the normal
household waste, but hand it in at an official collecting
point for recycling. By doing this, you help preserve the
NOTE: Models shown are the Moccaserver Autofill and Thermoking 3000 Autofill.
The features on your machine may differ slightly.
288 cups/hour (3N)
175 cups/hour (single phase)
3N or single phase version
Locking the footplate in place (Thermoserve only)
• Tilt coffee brewer backwards slightly.
• Hook footplate’s vertical rim into the cut away
opening, then lower brewer. Footplate is now
locked in place.
• Place the thermos on the footplate, so it presses
the white button on the inner base.
1. Power switch should be in the off position.
2. Fill the water container with fresh COLD water by hand or press the
autofill button (optional feature).
3. Place a fluted filter into the filter cone. Fill the paper with the
required amount of filter fine ground coffee and slide the filter cone
firmly into position.
4. Place an empty carafe underneath the filter cone and switch the
5. A green brewing light will illuminate to indicate that the machine is
brewing. It will go out then the brewing cycle is completed.
6. The machine ON switch also controls the bottom hotplate, so leave
the switch on whilst keeping the coffee hot. The top hotplate (if
present) has its own switch on top of the main ON switch.
7. Make sure all hotplates are switched OFF when the carafes are
empty. Overheating empty glass will weaken the glass.
8. Always remove used coffee/filter paper from the filter pan at the
end of each brew. NEVER use the hotplate to re-heat coffee or other
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Switches and lights
CLEANING & MAINTENANCE
• Disconnect the machine before regular cleaning with a damp (NOT
WET) cloth and wipe dry afterwards. Never immerse machine in liquid.
Other parts, such as carafes, lids, brew baskets may be washed in the
• DESCALE THE MACHINE REGULARLY. FAILING TO DESCALE WILL CAUSE
THE BOILER TO OVERHEAT AND EVENTUALLY THE FUSE TO TRIP.
If the descale light illuminates, the machine should be descaled
• Unscrew the drainage plug – under the lid of the cold water container
– and turn the machine upside down to drain the residual water from
• Fill the container with the correctly diluted descaler.
• Do not switch the machine on, but simply allow the descaler to
gravity feed in the boiler from where it will work its way through the
system. A chemical reaction between the scale and the descaler –
clearly visible as foaming – forces the descaler through the boiler into
the brew basket/carafe.
TIP: if you unscrew the drainage plug under the lid of the cold water container, you
will see active foaming. For as long as that continues, there is still scale in the boiler! In
that case, simply pour some more cold descaler into the cold water tank to continue
descaling until the active foaming stops.
ATTENTION: NEVER turn the machine on with the screw cap on
the drainage plug open, as you could burn yourself!
• Depending on the amount of scale in the boiler, the descaling process
may take some time. The machine will however descale itself and
does not require you to stand over it whilst it happens.
• After descaling, boil at least three carafes of water through the
machine to remove all traces of descaling agent.
Protection from frost
• Unplug machine from the mains.
• Unscrew the drainage plug under the lid of cold water container.
• Remove all residual water from the machine by turning it upside
• Before using the machine again, replace and tighten drainage plug.
The following table provides solutions for problems you may
encounter as you use your Technivorm Moccamaster. If you do not
find a solution to your specific problem, or the problem persists after
troubleshooting, please contact your retailer or service point.
Brewer not working;
lights not illuminated.
Check to ensure brewer is plugged into
Power light is on, but
coffee maker is not
Mineral buildup in heating
See descaling instruction manual.
Empty water container.
Fill the water container.
Thermos is not keeping
Contact authorized service centre for
Possible dam age to carafe
Hot plate stays on after
brewing is complete.
Your brewer has manual power
Manually turn power switch off.
Coffee tastes weak or
Incorrect amount of coffee used
To brew to ECBC standard use 60 grams of
coffee per litre water.
Incorrect grind of coffee.
Please use standard filter grind coffee.*
Brew cycle is taking
more than 6 minutes to
Coffee brewer needs to be
See descaling instruction in manual.
Water dripping out very
The brewer may be clogged with
mineral deposits and needs to be
See descaling instruction in manual.
*NOTE: Clogging and backing up of water and/or coffee in the filter holder can occur
under any or a combination of any of the following conditions: the use of too finely
ground coffee, using two or more paper filters or allowing coffe grounds to spill over
Thermoking3000: by default the brew cycle takes more than 6 minutes. It is recom-
mended to use a slightly coarser grind of coffee, in accordance with the longer brew
How do I order replacements parts?
Contact your local retailer or importer for parts, which may also be ordered
online at www.moccamaster.eu
The warranty is valid for two (2) years from the day of purchase.
You must keep the original receipt as your proof of purchase.
If the product is serviced during the warranty period such service does not
extend the warranty period to more than two years from the original day
of purchase. The warranty covers defects and faulty components related to
material or production.
Exemptions from the warranty are specified below.
In order for the warranty to be valid, you must make your claim within three
months after the defect was detected.
WHAT THE WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
• Normal wear, scratches and dents and damage caused by dropping,
impacts or similar.
• Use of the product for purposes other than making coffee.
• Replaceable parts such as filter holder and jugs.
• Damage caused by use of cleaning agents or descaling products not
recommended by Moccamaster.
• Shipping handled or commissioned by the customer.
Please follow our maintenance instructions. The warranty does not cover
damage caused by incorrect storage, other use than making coffee,
connecting to incorrect voltage, damage caused by chemical substances,
corrosion, damage caused by water, frost or other abnormal environmental
If an authorized service technician is unable to find defects on the product
the warranty will not cover related costs.
If authorized service personnel do not carry out repairs and/or
modifications, or unoriginal Moccamaster parts have been used, the
warranty on the product will automatically be null and void.
Service and repair.
Contact your local retailer or importer for service and repair.
The Netherlands & Germany: email@example.com
United Kingdom: firstname.lastname@example.org
Belgium and France: email@example.com
PARTS AND SERVICE