Full Text Searchable PDF User Manual
E/5062264 COMPACT UK 23/11/01 10:07 Page 1
Instructions for use
E/5062264 COMPACT UK 23/11/01 10:08 Page 2
This appliance complies with the safety
regulations and conditions in effect, and
with the following:
- Household appliance directive
89/336/CEE modified by directive
- Low Voltage Directive 72/23/CEE
modified by directive 93/68/CEE.
• Check that the power supply voltage
corresponds to that shown on the
appliance (alternating current).
• Given the diverse standards in effect, if
the appliance is used in a country other
than that in which it is purchased, have
it checked by an approved service
• Do not place the appliance near a heat
source or in a hot oven, as serious
damage could result.
• Use a flat and stable work surface, away
from any water splashes.
• Never leave the appliance in operation
unattended. Keep away from children.
• Do not leave the cord hanging.
• Always plug the appliance into an ear-
• Do not unplug the appliance by pulling
on the cord.
• Do not use the appliance if:
- the appliance or the cord is damaged.
- the appliance has fallen or shows
visible damage or does not work pro-
In the event of the above, the appliance
must be sent to the closest approved
• If the power supply cable is damaged, it
must be replaced by the manufacturer,
the after-sales service or a similarly qua-
lified person in order to avoid any risk.
Burns can occur by touching the hot
surface of the appliance, the hot water,
the steam or the food.
• Always unplug the appliance:
- immediately after use,
- when moving it,
- prior to any cleaning or maintenance.
• Never immerse the appliance in water !
• Do not place the appliance near a wall
or a closet - the steam produced by the
appliance can cause damage.
• Do not move the appliance when it is
full of liquids or hot foods.
• This appliance is designed for domestic
use only. In case of professional use,
inappropriate use or failure to comply
loith the instructions, the manufacturer
accepts no responsibility and the gua-
rantee does not apply.
Please follow the instructions for use and carefully follow the directions
This appliance produces boiling hot steam.
E/5062264 COMPACT UK 23/11/01 10:08 Page 3
Removable grid with hooks and
built-in egg holder
Steam basket n°2
Steam basket n°1
Juice collector with built-in egg holder
Removable turbo ring
Water tank (1L capacity and 1-hour
Inside maximum water level
Exterior water level indicator
Lid (can be used upturned as
a table mat)
Steam basket n°3
(depending on the model)
E/5062264 COMPACT UK 23/11/01 10:08 Page 4
immerse the water
tank in water when
from any objects
which could be
damaged by the
Do not use
seasoning or any
other liquid other than
water in the water
there is water in the
tank prior to use.
Check that the
grid is always in
basket n°1, placed on
the juice collector.
Prior to use
• Using warm soapy water, wash all the
removable parts and the inside of the
• Rinse and dry.
Preparing the steam
• Place the cooker on a stable surface.
• Place the turbo ring around the heating
Filling the water tank
• There are two ways to fill the water tank:
1. Pour the water directly into the water
tank, up to the maximum level, and pour
the water into the turbo ring (fig. A).
2. Pour the water into the water tank
through the water inlets, up to the maxi-
mum level (fig B).
• Place the juice collector in the tank and
adjust it properly.
• Use fresh water with each use.
Positioning the removable
• The baskets have grids which can be
removed to obtain a larger cooking
space or to cook larger foods.
• To position the grids:
- Place the basket on the table.
- Hold the grid right side up (hooks
toward the bottom).
- Centre the grid inside the basket.
- Press on the hooks until the grid is loc-
ked into place.
• For baskets n°2 and n°3 (depending on
the model), make sure that the grid
hooks are properly inserted.
• To remove the grids, push up from
E/5062264 COMPACT UK 23/11/01 10:08 Page 5
This appliance must be earthed.
Important: the wires in this lead are coloured in accordance with
the following codes:
Green and Yellow: Earth
Connect the Green/Yellow wire to the terminal in the plug marked
“ E ” (or by the earth symbol) or coloured Green or coloured
Green and Yellow. Connect the Brown wire to the terminal in the
plug marked “ L ” or coloured Red. Connect the Blue wire to the
terminal in the plug marked “ N ” or coloured Black. A 13 amp
fuse should be fitted when the appliance is connected to a BS
1363 plug. Seek professional advice if you are unsure of the cor-
rect procedure for the above.
This appliance is designed to run on 230 - 240 volts AC only.
Check that the mains supply corresponds to that shown on the
rating plate of the appliance. If the appliance is to be used in any
country other than that of purchase, it should be checked by an
approved Service Dealer. Standards can vary from country to
About your factory fitted plug
(supplied with certain models only)
The lead is already fitted with a plug incorporating a 13 amp fuse.
If the plug does not fit your socket outlet, see next paragraph.
Should you need to replace the fuse in the plug supplied, a 13
amp approved BS 1362 fuse must be used.
The fuse cover is an important part of the plug. Please ensure that
it is always refitted. If you lose this cover please do not use the
plug. You may contact TEFAL for a replacement.
If the plug supplied does not fit your socket outlet, it should be
removed from the mains lead and disposed of safely. The flexible
cord insulation should be stripped back as appropriate and a sui-
table alternative plug fitted. The replacement plug must be equip-
ped with a 13 amp fuse.
Important: If the electrical cord of this appliance is damaged, it
must only be replaced by an authorised Service Dealer. The safe-
ty of this appliance complies with the technical regulations and
standards in force.
For any problems or queries please telephone:
0845 602 1454 (UK - CALLS CHARGED AT LOCAL RATE)
(01) 47 51947 (IRELAND)
Wiring instructions UK only
Fit 13 amp
E/5062264 COMPACT UK 23/11/01 10:08 Page 6
When you use
the “clip-it” handle with
a basket, do not clip the
grid into that basket,
simply lay the grid, in
order to remove it more
Only use the
“clip-it” handle on the
the baskets in the
results, do not put too
much food in the bas-
Your steam cooker comes with a clip-it
handle which makes it easy to remove the
cooked food from the basket without har-
ming it (fish, asparagus tips, etc ...)
• Clip the tip of the clip-it handle on the
• Squeeze the tip of the handle to unclip it.
Positioning the baskets
• Place the food in the basket.
• Place the baskets on top of the juice col-
• The baskets are numbered: 1, 2 and 3
(depending on the model).
- Always put basket n°1 on the juice col-
- Then place basket n°2.
- Then basket n°3 (depending on the
• Put the lid on. (The lid fits on all the bas-
To cook rice
• Place the rice basket in the steam basket.
• Put the rice and the water in the rice bas-
ket (see the table of cooking times).
To cook eggs
• Place the eggs in the built-in egg hol-
E/5062264 COMPACT UK 23/11/01 10:08 Page 7
In order to set
the timer, the
appliance must be
If there is no
more water, the applian-
ce switches off automa-
gloves to handle the
baskets and the lid.
Check that the
juice collector has
before removing it.
Choose the cooking time
• Plug the appliance in.
• Set the timer for the recommended
• When the red light is on, the steam
cooking has begun.
• Check the water level during cooking by
looking at the exterior water level indica-
• If necessary, add water through the
At the end of cooking
• The appliance switches off automatically.
• The timer rings.
• The on light goes off.
• To stop the appliance ahead of time, turn
the timer to the 0 position.
• You can reheat food (see the table of
Removing the food from
the steam baskets
• Lift the lid by the handle.
• Remove the steam basket.
• Place the steam basket on a plate or on
the upturned lid.
• Unplug the appliance.
• Let it cool completely before putting it
E/5062264 COMPACT UK 23/11/01 10:08 Page 8
Table of cooking times
are indicative and may
vary depending on the
size of the food, the
space between the
food, the amount of
food, and individual pre-
For foods with
different cooking times:
place the larger items or
the items which require
longer cooking times in
basket n°1. As these
cook, add basket n°2
filled with the more
rapidly cooked items.
gloves when handling
the baskets during the
cooking time (indicated
in the recipe tables) cor-
responds to food
cooked in basket n°3.
Fish - Shellfish
Fillet of fish
10 -12 min.
Meat - Poultry
Knackwurst 400 g
(Prick them prior to cooking)
(cut the stem off)
Asparagus (leave space between
the asparagus so the steam
Cabbage (in quarters)
Carrots (sliced thin)
Green beans (thin)
(leave space between the green
beans so the steam circulates)
(for shorter cooking time,
slice the potatoes)
Rice - Grains - Pasta
Rice Amount Water Amount Cooking Time
200 g/2 pers. 300 ml
300 g/2 pers. 450 ml
200 g/2 pers. 300 ml
150 g/2 pers. 300 ml
120 g/2 pers. 500 ml
E/5062264 COMPACT UK 23/11/01 10:08 Page 9
Do not use
immerse the water
tank in water.
the appliance every
Do not use
Cleaning the appliance
• Empty the water tank and clean it with a
• All the other removable parts can be put
in the dishwasher.
• Clean the turbo ring regularly.
Removing scale build-up
from the appliance
• Fill the tank with 1/3 white vinegar and
2/3 water to the maximum filling level.
• Operate the appliance for 30 minutes
without the baskets and lid.
• Rinse out the inside of the water tank
with warm water several times.
Storing the baskets
• The baskets can be stacked.
• Place basket n°3 (depending on the
model) on the juice collector, then stack
basket n°2, then basket n°1, then the lid.
Cleaning and maintenance
E/5062264 COMPACT UK 23/11/01 10:08 Page 10