Full Text Searchable PDF User Manual
To enjoy fully all the features and functions of your product,
please read this owner’s manual carefully and completely.
: The laser used in the BD-ROM/DVD Rewriter can damage your eyes.
Do not attempt to open the cover.
To reduce the risk of electric shock, do not remove the cover (or back).
There are no user-serviceable parts inside.
Refer servicing to qualified service personnel.
Use of controls or performance of procedures other than those
specified herein may result in hazardous radiation exposure.
: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose this appliance
to rain or moisture
Industry Canada requirement
This class B digital apparatus complies with Canadian ICES-003.
Cet appareil numérique de la classe B est conforme à la norme NMB-003 du Canada.
FCC COMPLIANCE STATEMENT
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class
B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules.
These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful
interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and
can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance
with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications.
However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular
installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or
television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and
on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of
the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the
receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an Authorized Service Center for help.
Changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for
compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
• This BD-ROM/DVD Rewriter is for use only with UL listed personal computers that
have installation instructions detailing user-installation of card cage accessory.
CLASS 3B VISIBLE AND INVISIBLE LASER RADIATION WHEN OPEN.
AVOID EXPOSURE TO THE BEAM.
KLASSE 3B SYNLIG OG USYNLIG LASERSTRÅLING VED ÅBNING.
UNDGÅ UDSÆTTELSE FOR STRÅLING.
KLASSE 3B SYNLING OG USYNLIG LASERSTRÅLING NÅR
DEKSEL ÅPENS. UNNGÅ EKSPONERING FOR STRÅLEN.
KLASSE 3B SYNLING OCH OSYNLIG LASERSTRÅLNING NÄR DENNAL
DEL ÄR ÖPPNAD. STRÅLEN ÄR FARLIG.
KURSSI 3B NÄKYVÄ JA NÄKYMÄTÖN AVATTAESSA OLET
ALTTIINA LASERSÄTEILYLLE. ÄLÄ KATSO SÄTEESEN.
The appliance is not intended for use by young children or infirm persons without
Microsoft® and Windows® are trademarks registered in the United States and other
countries by the Microsoft Corporation.
DVD Logo is a trademark of DVD Format/Logo Licensing Corp., registered in U.S.,
Japan and other countries.
BD Logo is a trademark registered in U.S., Japan and other countries.
The company names and product names written in this manual are trademarks or
registered trademarks of the respective companies.
EU Conformity Notice
LG Electronics hereby declares that this/these product(s) is/are in com-
pliance with the essential requirements and other relevant provisions of
Directive 2004/108/EC, 2006/95/EC, and 2009/125/EC.
European representative :
LG Electronics Service Europe B.V. Veluwezoom 15, 1327
AE Almere. The Netherlands
(Tel : +31-(0)36-547-8888)
Features . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1
Important Precautions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2
System Environment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3
Location and Function of Controls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
Installing the Drive . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .5
Device Drivers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7
How to Use the Discs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .8
Troubleshooting . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .9
Specifications . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .10
• Power tray loading and ejection of disc. (The disc can also be ejected manually.)
• CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW/+R/RW/+/-R DL, DVD-RAM read and write compatible,
CD Family, DVD-ROM and BD-ROM/R(SL/DL)/RE(SL/DL) read compatible.
• Supports Regional Playback Control Phase II for DVD-Video.
• Automatic buffer underrun error prevention technology.
• Supports LightScribe Direct Label Printing Technology - *Optional.
* You can use a variety of Disc format
- BD-ROM/DVD Rewriter
- SATA Power cable
- SATA Data cable
- Application Software disc
- Owner’s Manual
Follow these precautions when handling the drive or discs.
• Please take notice that the manufacturer of this equipment does not offer any
warranty against data loss due to inappropriate installation or handling, or direct
or indirect damages.
• Please take notice that the manufacturer will bear no responsibility for direct or
indirect damages caused by the use of this product or its malfunction.
• Please take notice that the manufacturer will bear no responsibility for damage to
data caused by this product.
• Please backup (copy) all important data as a protection against data loss.
• Avoid placing the drive in a location subject to:
- high humidity, high temperature, excessive dust, mechanical vibration,
We recommend using the drive in a horizontal or vertical position.
Do not use it in tilted position.
• Don’t move the drive suddenly from a cold place to a warm one or raise the room
temperature suddenly. Condensation may occur, causing abnormal operation.
• Make sure to remove the disc before moving the drive. The disc may become
damaged, causing data loss.
• Be careful to prevent foreign objects, such as liquids or metal, from entering the
• Don’t interrupt the electric power while the drive is operating.
• Please pay attention to handling Electrostatic Sensitive Devices, you may use
anti-static products such as wrist straps, heel straps, mats to protect your body
This unit can be operated in the system environment explained here.
* Compatibility problem in write/read function may occur with media depending on the media
* There may be some cases when motion picture playback is not smooth depending on bit rate.
* When using LightScribe function on Windows Vista, higher Vista Service Pack 1 must be installed.
Playing Blu-ray Disc Movies *NOTICE*
Due to copyright protection features, certain requirements must be met in order to playback BD movies on a
computer. When using digital video connections, the monitor and graphics card must support
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). Note that most monitors and graphics cards currently don’t
support HDCP. But, most High Definition TVs and multimedia monitors do support HDCP. Refer to the PC or
graphic card maker’s web site to see if your card supports HDCP.
Some video cards that currently support HDCP:
- nVIDIA: GeForce 7800 GTX 512 / 7900 GT / 7900 GX2 / 7900 GTX / 7950 GX2 / 8600 GS / 8600 GT /
8600 GTS / 8800 GTX or higher with 256MB min memory.
- ATI: Radeon® HD2300/ HD2400/ HD2600 series or higher with 256MB min memory.
*When using ATI Radeon
HD 1000 Series Graphic Card, some BLURAY movie title can not be played on
Windows7 normally. It caused by giving up supporting the device driver of this Graphic Card by ATI Radeon
For more information, Please contact to customer service center or website of ATI Radeon
Graphic card driver shall meet AACS compliance criteria. Please consult your graphics card vendor for proper
HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection): Required to view pre-recoded Blu-ray Disc which are copy
• CPU : Pentium D 3.2 GHz or higher (Motherboard that supports SATA.)
(Recommended Core 2 Duo E6600 or higher.)
• O/S : Windows 7 / Windows XP (Home / Professional / Media Center
Edition) with SP2 or higher / Windows Vista (X86, X64) SP1 or higher
• RAM : 1 GB or more
• HDD : 30 GB or more of available space
13.34 cm (5.25”) half-height bay required
+5 V/+12 V power socket required
: Mitsubishi Kagaku Media, Taiyo Yuden.
: JVC, Mitsubishi Kagaku Media.
: Mitsubishi Kagaku Media, Verbatim.
: Mitsubishi Kagaku Media, Verbatim.
: Mitsubishi Kagaku Media, Verbatim.
: Mitsubishi Kagaku Media, Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden or TDK.
: LG, Mitsubishi Kagaku Media, Verbatim.
DVI or HDMI
DVI or HDMI
Location and Function of Controls
1. SATA Power Connector (15 pin)
2. SATA Data Connector (7 pin)
1. Disc Tray
2. Drive activity indicators
The LED is used to indicate the operation of
3. Emergency Eject Hole
4. Eject Button
Occasionally CD-R and CD-RW discs written by a CD-R/RW drive cannot be read by other
CD drives. These unreadable discs may need to be read using the CD-R/RW drive they
were created with.
Certain software (i.e. particularly those including Video playback) may
require a considerably increased specification PC to give acceptable results. While this
BD-ROM/DVD Rewriter can read DVD-video or BD-MV(BD-ROM) discs, decoding them to
display on your pc’s monitor requires separate MPEG, H.264 or VC-1 decoding that is done
by separate hardware (either an MPEG, H.264 or VC-1 decoder card or MPEG, H.264 or
VC-1 decoding done by your video card), or separate software that you install to do
MPEG, H.264 or VC-1 decoding. For further details, refer to the documentation that
comes with MPEG, H.264 or VC-1 software.
Before installing the drive, please note the following points.
You will need the following:
• A screw driver of a suitable size to fit the securing screws for the drive unit.
• The manual for the computer, so you can find the mounting positions for the SATA
Turn off all peripheral appliances of the computer and the computer itself, and
disconnect their power cords from the wall sockets.
Discharge any static electricity on your person by touching the computer covers, etc.
Removing the Computer Cover
Make sure all peripheral devices of the computer and the computer itself are turned off,
and then remove the cover. Refer to the manual for the computer for details about
removing the cover.
: There may be sharp edges inside the computer so take care to avoid injury.
Mounting the Drive
1. Remove the a 5
drive bay panel from the computer. Refer to the manual for the
computer for details.
2. Insert the drive unit into the bay. Do not apply excessive pressure to the cables inside
3. Secure the drive with the screws. If there is not much space behind the drive,
connect the SATA and power cables before securing the drive.
: This is a general installation guide. If your PC hardware appears different, please
consult your hardware manual for installing peripheral devices.
Installing the Drive
The BD-ROM/DVD Rewriter connects to the motherboard of the host computer using a
SATA interface cable.
Connecting the SATA Power Cable
Connect the power cable so the projection of the cable connector side to come to the left
side. Be careful not to connect upside down.
: Improper connection may damage the drive and void the warranty. Generally,
the power connector can only fit one way.
Connecting the SATA Data Cable
Connect the data cable. Be careful not to connect upside down.
Connect to the SATA connector
on the PC's Motherboard.
Connect to the power
connector of the PC.
When using Windows XP SP2 Home Edition/Professional/Media Center
Edition/Vista/Windows 7, no special device driver is required. Your system, upon
Power On and bootup after installing and connecting the new BD-ROM/DVD
Rewriter, will recognize and load native software drivers automatically.
For Windows XP Users
In order to ensure normal drive operation, please check the following:
• The drive is displayed in
Windows XP : [Control Panel]-([Performance and Maintenance])-[System]-
If the drive is not recognized by your computer, please check the following
• If an
indicator is displayed on the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in [Control
Panel]-([Performance and Maintenance])-[System]-[Hardware]-[Device
Manager], you will need to contact your PC’s manufacturer or the
motherboard’s manufacturer and get the appropriate IDE controller driver.
Add New Hardware
in Control Panel to let PC search again for new
Retail versions of this drive come with CD/DVD authoring Software.
Before installing, please uninstall any previous CD/DVD burning software you
may have loaded on your PC in order to prevent possible compatibility issues.
Once you have installed the application software, you may (if you wish) begin to
reinstall previous software, taking note for errors. Check for software updates for
all of your writing software.
How to Use the Discs
Don’t attach any stickers or labels to discs, It could cause read/write errors and data loss.
DO NOT use non-standard discs. NON-standard discs may not play or store data
The discs in this unit operate at a very high
speed! DO NOT use damaged, cracked or
warped discs. The drive’s optical unit may
be damaged if they break.
This drive has a feature that allows the disc to be ejected manually if this becomes
necessary such as failure of the drive or a power outage.
Don’t use this feature
in an emergency.
Turn the power to OFF.
Poke a fine-tipped object (such as a straightened heavy duty paper clip) into the
small hole above the eject button. The front door will pop open and the disk tray will
come partway out.
Pull the front door to open it all the way, then grip the disc tray between thumb and
forefinger and gently pull it straight out.
* If you cannot get a good grip on the disc tray with your fingers, use a steel binder clip
or spring clamp to pull it out.
This feature is a last measure to be
used only in an emergency.
Using it excessively will cause malfunction.
Before Requesting Service
Before calling for service, check this list.
The drive doesn’t have power.
• Is the power supply cable from the host computer plugged in?
• Is the Power Connector to the drive securely attached?
The system doesn’t start.
• Are the power and SATA cables to the PC correctly connected?
• Is the total length of the SATA cable 20 inches or less?
• Is each connector completely attached?
Other connections may have been knocked lose while installing the drive.
Cannot Read or Write Discs.
• Is the condition of everything else in the system (CPU, hard disc, and others) as it
should be? (See system environment.)
• Does the CD, DVD or BD disc have dirt or scratches?
• Did a screen saver or other application operate while writing to the disc?
• Is there enough free space on the CD, DVD disc?
• Does writing fail even using the simulation test for CD or DVD disc?
• Is the disc loaded in the drive with the read/write surface facing the right direction?
• Is the drive installed in the correct orientation?
• Was the drive or disc moved from a low temperature environment to a high temper-
ature environment? (There is a possibility of condensation on the lens in the drive or
on the surface of the disc.)
When you call for service, be prepared to give as much information as possible of your
system, environment, and the specific problem. (What happened? When? How long?
What was going on? Were there any error messages displayed? etc.)
Since this product supports Regional Playback Control Phase II for
DVD-Video with CSS, a certain MPEG decoder card or Software without regional code
setting may cause this drive not to read DVD-Video with CSS discs. This Drive enables
you to change the regional code up to 5 times
The disc of the cartridge type is not supported.
BD-RE: The disc of version 1.0 is not supported.
There might be some cases when this drive can not satisfy the best performance depending on the conditions
of the disc, the drive, and the recording format.
* The drive’s appearance and specifications may change without prior notice.
(SL/DL), BD-R(SL/DL), DVD-ROM(SL/DL),
DVD-R(SL/DL), DVD-RW, DVD+R(SL/DL), DVD+RW, DVD-RAM,
CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, CD-I, Photo-CD (Single & Multi-Session),
Video CD, CD-Audio Disc, Mixed mode, CD-ROM disc (data and
audio), CD-Extra, CD-Text, CD-R, CD-RW
12 cm/ 8 cm (8 cm disc can be used only with drive placed
BD-R (SL L to H)
2x, 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x
2x, 4x, 8x
1x, 2x, 4x, 6x
2x, 3x, 5x, 12x
2.4x, 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x
2.4x, 4x, 8x
2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x
8x, 16x, 24x, 32x, 40x, 48x
4x, 10x, 16x, 24x
Data transfer rate
BD-ROM : 359.65 Mb/s (10x max)
DVD-ROM : 22.16 MB/s (16x max)
CD-ROM : 7,200 kB/s (48x max)
SATA Gen.1 (1.5 Gbps)
BD-ROM : 180 ms (typ.), DVD-ROM : 160 ms (typ.)
Time (1/3 Stroke)
DVD-RAM : 180 ms (typ.), CD-ROM : 150 ms (typ.)
100,000 Power On Hours (Duty Cycle 20 %)
Environmental When operating
Temperature: 5 °C to 45 °C
Humidity: 15 % to 80 % R.H.
When not operating
Temperature: -30 °C to 60 °C
Humidity: 10 % to 90 % R.H.
DC 5 V, DC 12 V
The disc rotates at high speed in the drive unit.
Use of worn, damaged, or non-standard discs can
adversely affect the drive and cause the disc to
shatter or crush while in use.
Disc crush can only occur when you use a damaged
disc in the drive. It is an extremely rare occurrence,
but there are steps which can be taken to prevent it.
Always check your discs before inserting them
into the drive.
1. Take care not to use worn, cracked, damaged,
warped or poor quality discs, as this may
cause damage to your drive.
2. Check the clear plastic on the center of the
disc, cracks here are the main cause of disc
3. Do not play discs which are a non-standard
(I.e. non-circular)shape, such as heart shaped
discs, or discs in the shape of a business
How can you keep your discs from becoming
1. When not in use, remove discs from the drive.
2. Keep discs in the packaging supplied with
them and out of direct sunlight and away from
Excessive vibration or a sudden jolt to the drive
during operation may cause a malfunction.
Avoid exposing the drive to sudden changes in
temperature as it may cause condensation to collect
inside the drive.
Copyright © 2010
2010 Made by
Please visit www.lgservice.com and install the automatic
firmware download program, “LG ODD Online F/W update.”
This program will automatically check for new firmware
releases and download them. It is also included on the
software discs that accompany our drives.