Full Text Searchable PDF User Manual
2 • ClearWaveAir
ClearWaveAir Purifier Owner’s Manual
Thank you for purchasing the ClearWaveAir air purifier. The ClearWaveAir system will greatly
improve the air quality in your home, office, or other indoor environment, by reducing airborne
germs (proven by independent laboratory testing).
Please be certain to read this entire manual carefully as it contains important information about
the proper operation and maintenance of this high performance system.
1. To register your purchase to insure that your new air purifier is protected by our warranty.
2. For updated safety and operating instructions.
3. For information about improving the air quality in your home or office.
4. For patent information. ClearWaveAir is a registered trademark. U.S. and international patents
issued and pending.
ClearWaveAir Purifier Benefits
The ClearWaveAir air purifier is independently tested and proven to reduce airborne mold,
bacteria and viruses. This capability may reduce your exposure to these airborne microorganisms
that can cause illness.
• Compact, potent, novel air purifier
• Destroys harmful household germs that cause sickness and trigger allergies and asthma
• No assembly—Plug and Purify™
• Purifies areas up to 3,800 ft
(about 470 ft
• Low energy consumption—only 20 watts
• Quiet operation
• 1-year limited warranty
ClearWaveAir • 3
Table of Contents
Operating The ClearWaveAir Purifier
Cleaning and Maintenance
ClearWaveAir, Inc., Las Vegas, NV
4 • ClearWaveAir
Read all instructions before operating the air purifier. Save these instructions.
Safety precautions should always be used when operating this or any electrical appliance. Decrease the
risk of electrocution, electric shock, injury or fire by reading and following all the warnings below.
Use the ClearWaveAir purifier only as described in this manual. To reduce the risk of electric shock, do
not attempt to service the product in any way other than in the manner described in the “Cleaning and
Maintenance” section of this manual.
Warning: Risk of Electrical Shock
• This product operates at 120V AC, 60Hz only.
• Do not run cord under carpeting. Do not cover cord with throw rugs, runners, or similar coverings.
Arrange cord away from traffic area and where it will not be tripped over.
• Always unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet when the purifier is not in use, before
cleaning, inserting or removing parts, or before moving to another location.
• Never run the air purifier if any part, including the filter, is missing or damaged or disassembled.
• Never use while bathing or in the shower.
• Never place or store the unit where it could fall or be pulled into a tub or sink.
• Never immerse the air purifier unit in water or other liquid.
• Never reach for the unit if it has fallen into water. Unplug it first.
• Care should be taken so that objects do not fall and liquids are not spilled into the unit.
• Attempting to service the air purifier in any way that is not described in this owner’s manual will
cause the warranty to be voided and could cause serious personal injury to the user and/or result in
considerable damage to the unit.
• Do not place the cord near a heated surface.
• Do not operate this product with a damaged cord or plug. Discard the product or return to an
authorized service facility for examination and/or repair.
• Never use the power cord to pick up, carry, drag, pull, or lift the air purifier. Do not pull the cord against
or around sharp corners and edges. This could result in injury to the user or damage to the cord.
• Always remove the plug from its power outlet by holding onto the plug itself and pulling gently.
Never pull on the cord itself to unplug it from its power outlet.
• Use care when operating the air purifier by keeping all foreign objects, fingers, body parts, hair, loose
clothing and jewelry away from openings.
• Never touch the air purifier or its plug when your hands are wet.
• The air purifier is an electrical appliance. Adult supervision is required when operating the unit in the
presence of children.
• Never overload an electrical outlet. Use only the provided power supply.
ClearWaveAir • 5
• To avoid the risk of electrical shock, never disassemble or attempt to repair the unit. Incorrect repair can
cause risk of electric shock or injury.
• To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, never use the unit with any sold-state speed control device.
• Use this unit only for its intended use as described in this manual.
• Unplug the unit during lightning storms or when unused for long periods of time.
• Always operate unit on a level, flat surface.
• The unit should be situated away from heat sources such as direct sunlight, radiators, heat registers,
stoves, or other heat-producing appliances.
• Never operate the unit around aerosols or without a clean filter installed.
• Keep away from gas-powered stoves and ovens, and never operate the unit in areas where flammable
or combustible units or vapors may be present.
UV Lamp Notice
Disassembling any part of the ClearWaveAir unit, or operating it without a filter, will expose you to
Never look directly at the UV lamp while it is illuminated!
UV Light is harmful to bare
skin and eyes and can cause temporary or permanent loss of vision. To prevent exposure to ultraviolet
light, disconnect the power to the unit before servicing any part of the unit.
UV Lamp Disposal
If the UV lamp breaks, turn off the unit. Never operate the unit with a broken lamp. Broken lamp glass is
very sharp. Never handle with bare hands. Use leather gloves. Do not use a vacuum to clean up breakage.
Sweep debris into a plastic bag and dispose of properly. Contact your local waste management authority
for instructions regarding recycling and the proper disposal of old lamp(s). To order a replacement lamp,
go to ClearWaveAir.com.
Because the unit contains a UV lamp, and UV lamps contain mercury, ClearWaveAir is required to provide
the following warning: This product contains mercury, a chemical known to the State of California to cause
birth defects or other reproductive harm. Do not place your used lamp(s) in the trash. Disposal of any
item containing mercury must be in accordance with any hazardous waste disposal or recycling laws and
regulations of your state.
Never operate the unit when any part of it is missing, damaged or disassembled. This could
expose your eyes and skin to harmful UV light inside.
6 • ClearWaveAir
Operating the ClearWaveAir Purifier
1. To start your unit
, place it on a firm, level surface away from direct sunlight.
Plug the power supply into a 110-volt outlet and connect the small cable
plug into the power receptacle in the back of the unit. The unit will now cycle
through a self-diagnostic sequence before starting in full operation mode.
Each time the unit is started, it will go through this sequence, which may
take more than 10 seconds.
2. When the unit starts
you will hear the fan, feel air movement, and you will
see blue light through the air outlet holes. You may adjust the fan speed by
turning the control knob left or right. The control knob has no stop; after a
few turns counter-clockwise, the fan will reach its lowest speed, and after a
few turns clockwise, it will reach its highest speed.
3. Where sound is not an issue,
operate your unit at full speed, the most
effective speed for purifying the air.
The air speed adjustment turns your ClearWaveAir
unit into an ideal “white noise” generator by adjusting the fan speed to mask environmental
background noise. Your ClearWaveAir unit will continually purify the air at any speed.
To turn the blue light on and off:
Momentarily push the control knob in.
To turn the entire unit off:
Hold the control knob in for 3 seconds.
To initiate the unit’s start-up cycle:
Hold the control knob in for 3 seconds again.
4. When you first start your unit, you may notice an odor.
The type of odor is dependent upon the
microbial or chemical compounds in your environment. The ClearWaveAir Microbial Kill Chamber will
render many of these compounds harmless by destroying them. If for instance, a particular room has
a high mold spore count, the odor may persist for several hours or even days. Once the bulk of mold
spores have been destroyed, the odor will dramatically reduce or disappear. The unit will now destroy
the compounds at the rate at which they are introduced into your environment.
5. In the bottom opening your ClearWaveAir unit has a small, coconut-based, activated carbon
This filter will effectively reduce ozone and chemical compounds. Depending on the dust volume
in your environment, the filter may need replacement anywhere between 30 and 90 days. A new filter
is solid black. Once the filter surface turns gray or shows visible debris, it should be replaced. A black
o-ring holds the filter cartridge in place. The o-ring may be removed using your fingernails, or any
pointed, but not sharp-edged, object.
6. Do not operate the unit without a clean filter installed.
ClearWaveAir makes replacement filters
available at a very reasonable price. Replace them frequently.
7. Your ClearWaveAir unit is an engineering marvel.
Its cleanly designed high-grade machined
aluminum body incorporates a high intensity ultra-violet radiation chamber, which kills harmful germs
at the speed of light. You may clean the outside of the unit by using a soft dry cloth. Or you may use
some Isopropyl alcohol that will remove finger marks, etc.
For more information, please contact us at ClearWaveAir.com. We are here to help and would
love to hear your comments.
Fan and LED
ClearWaveAir • 7
Filter Removal and Cleaning
Your ClearWaveAir purifier has a small prefilter at the base of the unit near the Air Inlet Area. This filter is
designed to protect the electronics to dust and debris. The filter is easily removed and cleaned.
1. Unplug the power supply to the air purifier. Turn the air purifier upside down and set it down on a solid
surface. You may want to set it on a paper towel or soft cloth to prevent scratching of the chrome top
cap. You will now see the bottom of the purifier, which shows a filter held in place by a rubber o-ring.
The rubber o-ring can easily be removed with your fingers, and the old filter cartridge can easily be
Cleaning and Maintenance
8 • ClearWaveAir
2. Discard the old filter cartridge and insert the new cartridge. The o-ring will easily snap into place and
secure the filter.
3. The o-ring will bend until it fully snaps into its groove to retain the filter cartridge.
ClearWaveAir • 9
UV Lamp Replacement Instructions for the Qualified Technician
UV lamp replacement should only be performed by a qualified technician. ClearWaveAir will
replace the lamp free of any labor charges. Customer pays only for parts plus shipping and
handling. See ClearWaveAir.com for instructions on how to send your unti back to us.
ClearWaveAir’s replacement UV lamp is shipped together with replacement and disposal instructions,
and the required Allen wrench.
1. Remove the power supply from the electrical outlet and remove the power plug from the back of the
air purifier by pulling it straight out.
2. Just below the top cap you will find two small holes that have an Allen head screw inside them. Using
the Allen wrench provided with the replacement lamp, unscrew both screws and keep in a secure place.
10 • ClearWaveAir
3. Remove the top cap. This will give you a clear view into the top of the air purifier. The photo on the right
shows the UV chamber with the UV lamp inserted in its center. Note that the UV chamber has a half-
round notch in its wall and that the lamp end cap has a groove in its top. The notch and the groove will
be in alignment.
4. Wear a pair of leather gloves. While holding down the air purifier on the counter with one hand, grasp
the lamp end cap with the other hand, and pull the UV lamp straight out. Note that it does not require
much force to “un-click” the UV lamp from its socket. Do not jerk it out. The UV lamp is fragile; excessive
force or dropping it may cause it to break. Should the lamp break while it is still in its chamber, do not
proceed further. Package the entire unit securely and ship it back to ClearWaveAir Corporation (see
ClearWaveAir.com for the address and shipping instructions). The unit will have to be cleaned of all
debris and contaminants before it is reassembled and returned to you.
ClearWaveAir • 11
5. Continue wearing gloves. Insert the new lamp into the UV chamber with the groove of the end cap
aligning with the notch in the UV chamber. This will allow the two lamp pins to align with the pin
receptacles in the bottom of the UV chamber. When you are sure that the lamp is properly aligned,
lightly press down on the lamp until you hear a ‘click.’ This means that the lamp is properly installed.
6. You are now ready to reassemble the unit. Insert the top cap into the aluminum body so that the screw
holes in the aluminum line up with the threaded holes in the top cap. Reinsert the screws and plug
in the power supply. If your air purifier functions normally again, your lamp replacement has been
One Year Limited Warranty
To insure that your new air purifier is protected by our warranty, please register your purchase at
Your ClearWaveAir air purifier is warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for one
year from the original purchase date. Should the product have a defect in materials or workmanship, we
will repair or replace it without charge to you (a shipping and processing fee will apply). For warranty
service, go to ClearWaveAir.com.
This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, misuse or any use other than as intended and
described in this product manual, or damage resulting from failure to maintain and clean this product as
specified in this product manual. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the ClearWaveAir
All express and implied warranties for this product, including implied warranties of merchantability and
fitness for a particular purpose, are limited in duration to the warranty period, and no warranties, whether
express or implied, will apply after this period.
Some states do not allow limitations on the duration of implied warranties, so the above limitation may
not apply to you. While this warranty gives you specific legal rights, you may also have other rights that
may vary from state to state.
Unit Will Not Operate
Reduced Air Flow
Unit Does Not Start
Unit is unplugged.
Electrical outlet not powered.
Air Inlet or outlet may be blocked.
UV lamp reached end of life.
Electronic failure may have occurred.
Check that unit is plugged in.
Try different outlet.
Check for air flow blockage.
Return unit to ClearWaveAir for
repair or order a new lamp to be
installed by a qualified technician.