Full Text Searchable PDF User Manual
Thank you for purchasing this single unit desktop charger from 49er
Communications. It’s a high quality product designed for rapid charging
two-way radio batteries whether on or off a radio. With the appropriate
charging pod installed, it can charge these battery chemistries: lithium ion
(Li-Ion), lithium polymer (LiPo), nickel-metal hydride (NiMH), or nickel cad-
For a complete list of charging pods available for this charger, contact our
customer service department at 800-552-0707 x101.
1. Power supply.
2. Single unit desktop charger.
3. Removable charging pod.
4. Charge status LED.
Note: Quick reference information
for charge status LED is located
on bottom of charger.
Replacing A Charging Pod
The charging pod is made from quality materials and designed to provide
years of service when properly used. In most cases, the charging pod will
only be replaced when you want to use the charger with a different battery.
Follow these steps to change the charging pod:
1. Obtain a charging pod made specifically for this charger. Confirm that the
charging pod is compatible with the battery you want to charge.
2. Unplug the power supply from the charger.
3. Turn the locking screw on the bottom of the charging pod counter-clock-
wise until it no longer holds the pod. Lift the charging pod from the
4. Insert the replacement charging pod into the charging base and secure
with the locking screw. Do not over tighten the screw.
5. Inspect the charging contacts to ensure they are clean and unobstructed.
6. Connect the power supply to the charger. You are now ready to charge a
battery compatible with the charging pod.
Charging A Battery
1. Confirm that the charging pod and battery are compatible.
2. Connect the DC plug from the power supply cable to the opening on the
back of the charger, then connect the AC adaptor to a wall outlet.
3. Place battery to be charged in the charging pod. The battery may be
charged while attached to the radio.
4. When a battery is placed in the charging pod, the charge status LED will
illuminate ORANGE for a short period while the charger performs a bat-
tery diagnostic. If the LED does not illuminate, check to make sure the
wall outlet is receiving power. The charge status LED will change from
ORANGE to RED once the battery diagnostic is complete.
5. While a battery is charging, the charge status LED will illuminate RED
with no flashing. If the charge status LED is red and flashes, a fault has
been detected. The flash pattern represents a specific fault condition.
See section Fault Conditions for details.
6. When the battery is charged to 80% of capacity, the charge status LED
will change to GREEN and begin to flash. It is recommended that the
battery be charged to at least 80% capacity before use.
7. The charge status LED will illuminate GREEN with no flashing when the
battery is fully charged.
8. After removing a fully charged battery, the charge status LED may remain
illuminated for a few seconds. Allow the charge status LED to go off be-
fore placing another battery in the charging pod.
9. The charger is designed to operate at room temperatures between 15°C
and 30°C (59° F – 86° F). Do not charge batteries at temperatures below
0° C (32°F) or above 45°C (113°F).
1. Read all Caution statements below and this User Manual before attempting
to charge a battery.
2. Always charge new batteries completely before initial use. Recycle batteries
when they can no longer be used. Do not discard unwanted batteries in the
trash or incinerate. Batteries exposed to fire or excessive heat may explode.
3. For best battery performance, charge NiCd and NiMH batteries when they
are fully discharged.
1. Never charge alkaline or dry cell batteries with this charger. Do not charge Li-
Ion, LiPo, NiMH, or NiCd batteries unless they are designed with overcharge
2. Use charger indoors only. Do not expose the charger to rain, any liquids, or
3. Do not attempt to charge a battery without first installing the appropriate
charging pod. Only use charging pods designed for this charger and supplied
by 49er Communications. Disconnect charger from power supply before in-
stalling, adjusting, or removing the charging pod.
4. Make sure contacts in charging pod and battery are clean. Do not allow wire
or metal objects to touch contacts in charging pod or any internal part of the
5. Do not remove the charger’s housing or make any modification to the char-
6. Use only the power supply provided with this charger. If a replacement pow-
er supply is required, contact 49er Communications. Use of other power sup-
plies may damage the charger or batteries you may be attempting to charge.
When the charge status LED flashes RED, a fault condition exists. There are
three different flash patterns, each indicating a specific type of fault. The
flash patterns and fault conditions are as follows:
Flash Pattern Fault Type
Indicates charging complete, but battery is under charged.
Battery voltage is below minimum level required. This
warning is provided after the rapid charging stage is com-
Indicates battery contact is “open” and current is not
passing through the (+) and (-) contacts on the battery.
This warning is provided after the initial diagnostic stage
is complete. Check charging pod to confirm compatibility
Indicates over-current condition caused by battery short
circuit. Have the battery checked by a qualified technician.
Do not attempt charging the battery if a short circuit exists.
Warranty And Service During Warranty
This desktop charger is made from high quality materials and designed to pro-
vide years of reliable service. The following warranty applies:
49er Communications, Inc. warrants this product to be free from defects in
workmanship and materials for one-year from date of purchase by the end
user. This warranty applies to the original purchaser and is void if the product
has been altered, misused, damaged, neglected, or if repair is required because
of normal wear and tear. This is the only warranty made by 49er Communica-
tions, Inc. In no event will 49er Communications, Inc., its affiliates, subsidiaries,
related entities, or their respective directors, officers, or employees, be liable
for any damages beyond repair or replacement as described above, including
without limitation, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages. For service
under warranty, return the product along with dated proof of purchase to the
reseller where purchased or to 49er Communications. If returning directly to
49er Communications follow these instructions:
1. Call 800-552-0707 x101 to obtain a return authorization number. Returns
will not be accepted without this number.
2. Send to 49er Communications - Warranty Service Department, 361 Railroad
Avenue, Nevada City, CA 95959. For your protection, we recommend you
obtain proof of delivery for your shipment.
3. Include with your charger, dated proof of purchase, your name and daytime
telephone number, and return address (street address only; return ship-
ments cannot be made to a P.O. Box).
4. All items sent become the property of 49er Communications and will not be
Specifications For Desktop Charger
115 x 136 x 66 mm / 4.5 x 5.4 x 2.6 inches
Weight (Charger Only)
275 g / .6 lbs.
Compatible Chemistries NiCd / NiMH / Li-Ion / LiPo
Operating Temperature 15° C – 30° C / 59° F – 86° F
0° C – 65° C / 32° F – 149° C
Power Supply Input
100V – 240V AC / 50 Hz – 60 Hz / 0.5A
Power Supply Output
15V DC 1.0A
700 mA (10.6V-13.5V)
Specifications subject to change without notice.
©2015 49er Communications, Inc. 49er Communications is a registered trademark of 49er Communications,
Inc. All rights reserved.
FOR RECHARGEABLE TWO-WAY
RAPID RATE TRI-CHEMISTRY
361 Railroad Avenue
Nevada City, CA 95959
49er Communications, Inc.
800-552-0707 Toll Free