Related Product Video
Full Text Searchable PDF User Manual
© 2015 by Snow Joe
All rights reserved. Original instructions.
A Division of Snow Joe
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
Form No. SJ-TJ599E-880E-MR2
6-INCH 2.5-AMP ELECTRIC
All Operators Must Read These
Instructions Before Use
Always follow these safety guidelines. Failure to do so may
result in serious bodily injury or death.
General Safety WARNINGS!
You and any other operator of this garden cultivator must
read, understand and follow these instructions in their entirety.
Failure to follow these instructions may result in ELECTRIC
SHOCK, FIRE and/or serious PERSONAL INJURY.
Notice the personal safety alert symbol
used in this
manual to draw your attention to a WARNING given along
with the particular operating instruction. This means that
the operation requires special ATTENTION, CAUTION and
1. Keep work area clean and well-lit – Cluttered, dark
areas invite accidents.
2. Replacement parts – When servicing this unit, use only
identical replacement parts. Replace or repair damaged
3. Keep children, bystanders and pets away – All
spectators, including pets, should be kept a safe distance
away from the work area.
4. Know your product – Know how to start and stop the
machine. Be thoroughly familiar with the controls.
5. Use the right tool – Do not use this machine for any job
except that for which it is intended.
6. Dress properly – Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry as
such articles can become caught in moving parts. Wear
a protective covering to contain long hair. Wearing rubber
gloves and substantial non-slip footwear is recommended
when working outdoors.
7. Extension cords – To prevent electric shock, use only
with an extension cord suitable for outdoor use.
8. Avoid accidental starting – Do not carry the garden
cultivator with your finger on the switch. Make sure the
switch is off before plugging in the unit.
Moving parts will continue to run for several
seconds after turning off the machine.
9. Do not abuse the cord – Never carry the garden
cultivator by the cord or yank the cord to disconnect it
from the receptacle. Keep the cord away from heat, oil
and sharp edges.
10. Moving parts – Keep hands and feet away from moving
parts. Keep guards in place and in proper working order.
11. Do not force the tool – It will perform better with less
likelihood of personal or mechanical injury if it is used at
the rate for which it was designed.
12. Do not overreach – Keep proper footing and balance at
If the garden cultivator strikes a foreign object, follow
• Stop the electric garden cultivator.
• Inspect for damage.
• Repair any damage before restarting and
operating the garden cultivator.
13. Use safety glasses – Also use safety footwear, snug-
fitting clothing, protective gloves, hearing and head
14. Disconnect the tool – Disconnect the garden cultivator
from the power supply when it is not in use, before
servicing it, when changing accessories and when
performing any other maintenance task.
15. Store idle tool indoors – When not in use, the garden
cultivator should be stored indoors in a dry and high or
locked-up place out of the reach of children.
16. Maintain the garden cultivator with care – Keep the
cutting edge sharp and clean for optimal performance
and to reduce the risk of injury. Inspect the extension
cord periodically and immediately replace it if damaged.
Keep the handles dry, clean and free from oil and grease.
Follow the additional recommendations described in the
maintenance section of this manual.
17. Avoid dangerous environments – Do not use the
garden cultivator in rain, damp or wet locations. Do not
operate the garden cultivator in gaseous or explosive
atmospheres or use the garden cultivator near flammable
or combustible liquids. Motors in these tools normally
spark, and the sparks might ignite fumes.
18. Stay alert – Watch what you are doing. Use common
sense. Do not operate the garden cultivator when you
are tired or under the influence of drugs, alcohol or other
19. Check for damaged parts – Before further use of the
appliance, a guard or other part that is damaged should
be carefully checked to determine that it will operate
properly and perform its intended function. Check for
alignment of moving parts, binding of moving parts,
breakage of parts, mounting, and any other condition
that may affect its operation. A guard or other part that
is damaged should be properly repaired or replaced.
Contact the Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
center at 1-866-SNOWJOE (1-866-766-9563) for
• Read, understand and follow all instructions on the
cultivator and in the manual before operating this unit.
Thoroughly familiarize yourself with the controls and the
proper use of the equipment. Know how to stop the unit
and disengage the controls quickly.
• Children should never be allowed access to the equipment.
Adults should never operate the equipment without
carefully reading and understanding these instructions.
• Keep the area of operation clear of all persons, particularly
small children and pets.
• Exercise caution to avoid slipping or falling.
• Always plan your cultivating pattern to avoid discharge of
material toward people, pets and property. Thrown objects
can cause serious personal injury.
• Keep people, pets and property at least 25 feet from the
cultivator while it is in operation. Stop the cultivator if
people or pets enter the discharge area.
• Always observe the surface conditions in order to avoid
slipping, falling and unexpected objects.
• Always inspect the area where the cultivator is to be used.
Remove all objects (e.g., stones, sticks, wires and foreign
objects) that could be thrown by the tines or cause the
operator to trip.
• Thrown objects can cause serious injury to the eyes and
exposed body. Always wear safety glasses or eye shields
during operation and while performing an adjustment or
• Always operate cultivator wearing adequate garments.
Do not wear jewelry or other loose clothing, which could
become entangled in moving parts. Wear footwear that
provides sure footing.
• Observe any noise-prevention regulations and laws.
• Inspect the cultivator for worn, missing or damaged parts
and safety labels. See maintenance section for detailed
• Do not operate the machine while under the influence of
alcohol or drugs.
• Keep all safety devices in place and in proper working
order. Do not operate with missing or damaged
• Ensure the controls (start/stop) function properly before
• Hold onto the cultivator with both hands during operation.
Ensure the grips are dry.
• Contact with the rotating parts can amputate hands and
feet. Do not put hands or feet near rotating parts.
• Plan your cultivating pattern to avoid discharge towards
people or property (e.g., windows, cars etc.). Do not direct
discharge at children, bystanders and pets or allow anyone
in front of the machine.
• Only operate the cultivator when there is good visibility or
light and dry conditions. Always watch your footing and
keep a firm hold on the grips. Walk don’t run!
• Do not operate the cultivator on slippery surfaces. Check
your footing as you operate the cultivator.
• Exercise caution when changing direction and operating
on slopes. Always keep feet and legs a safe distance away
from the machine. Look for hidden obstacles or hazards.
• Do not overload machine capacity by attempting to
cultivate to deeply. It will cause excessive resistance.
• Stop the cultivator and disconnect the electric cord before
you leave the operating position (behind the handles) to
make any adjustments or inspections. Wait until the tines
have come to a complete stop.
• If the cultivator should start to vibrate abnormally, stop the
machine and inspect thoroughly for damage.
• Turn the machine OFF and disconnect the electrical
power when moving to a new work area. Allow the tines to
completely stop rotating before moving the cultivator.
• Always use care and good judgment when you have a
situation that is not covered in this manual. If unsure,
always contact the distributors where you bought the
cultivator or the nearest service location before proceeding.
• Do not use in rain.
• Do not grasp the exposed cutting blades or cutting edges
when picking up or holding the appliance.
• Always turn the cultivator OFF and disconnect the electrical
power when there is a work stoppage or changing work
areas. Never leave the machine running when unattended.
• The tines will continue to rotate for a short period
after turning the cultivator OFF. Wait until the tines
have completely stopped before lifting the machine or
conducting inspection and maintenance.
• The motor housing remains hot for a short period after the
machine is turned OFF. Allow the motor housing to cool off
before touching or storing near combustible material.
Maintenance + Storage
• Maintain or replace safety and instruction labels.
• Disengage all controls, stop the engine and wait until the
tines come to a complete stop before cleaning, repairing or
inspecting the cultivator.
• Regularly check the following:
i) Accumulation of debris around the tines could cause a
poor performance or damage to the motor. Inspect and
clean before every use.
ii) Safety devices are operating properly. Do not tamper
with or adjust safety devices.
iii) Bolts and screws for proper tightness. Visually inspect
machine for any damage and that the cultivator is in
safe working condition.
iv) Always replace damaged parts with original equipment
manufacturer’s (OEM) parts only. Replacement parts
that do not meet the original equipment specifications
may lead to improper performance and compromise
In a double-insulated appliance, two systems of insulation
are provided instead of grounding. No grounding means is
provided on a double-insulated appliance, nor should a means
for grounding be added to the appliance. Servicing a double-
insulated appliance requires extreme care and knowledge
of the system, and should be performed only by qualified
service personnel at an authorized Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
dealer. Replacement parts for a double-insulated appliance
must be identical to the parts they replace. A double-insulated
appliance is marked with the words “Double Insulation” or
“Double Insulated.” The symbol (square within a square)
may also be marked on the appliance.
DOUBLE-INSULATED: GROUNDING NOT
REQUIRED. WHEN SERVICING, USE ONLY
IDENTICAL REPLACEMENT PARTS.
This electric garden cultivator is double-insulated, eliminating
the need for a separate grounding system. Use only identical
replacement parts. Read the instructions before servicing
double-insulated appliances. Use this garden cultibator only as
described in this manual.
1. Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection should
be provided on the circuit(s) or outlet(s) to be used for
this electric garden cultivator. Receptacles are available
having built-in GFCI protection and may be used for this
measure of safety.
2. To prevent electric shock, use only with an extension cord
suitable for outdoor use, such as SW-A, SOW-A, STW-A,
STOW-A, SJW-A, SJOW-A, SJTW-A, or SJTOW-A.
Before use, check that the extension cord is in good
condition. When using an extension cord, make sure to
use one heavy enough to carry the current your product
will draw. For lengths more than 50 ft (15 m), a No.16
AWG (or greater) extension cord should be used. An
undersized cord will cause a drop in line voltage resulting
in loss of power and overheating.
3. To reduce the risk of electric shock, this appliance has
a polarized plug (i.e. one blade is wider than the other).
Use this appliance only with a polarized UL-, CSA- or
ETL-listed extension cord recommended for outdoor, all-
weather use, such as the Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
Joe SJTW-A 14-gauge 50-foot extension cord with lighted
end (Model PJEXT50-B). Visit snowjoe.com to purchase
this extension cord online or, to order by phone, call
The appliance plug will fit into a polarized extension
cord only one way. If the appliance plug does not fit
fully into the extension cord, reverse the plug. If the plug
still does not fit, obtain a correct polarized extension
cord. A polarized extension cord will require the use of a
polarized wall outlet. The extension cord plug will fit into
the polarized wall outlet only one way. If the plug does
not fit fully into the wall outlet, reverse the plug. If the plug
still does not fit, contact a qualified electrician to install
the proper wall outlet. Do not modify the appliance plug,
extension cord receptacle or extension cord plug in any
Electric shock may cause SEVERE INJURY or
DEATH. Heed these warnings:
• Do not allow any part of the electric garden cultivator
to make contact with water while it is in operation. If
the appliance becomes wet while turned off, wipe dry
• Use only a UL-, CSA- or ETL-rated extension cord
for outdoor, all-weather use, such as the Snow Joe
Power Joe SJTW-A 14-gauge 50-foot
extension cord with lighted end (Model PJEXT50-B).
Visit snowjoe.com to purchase this extension cord
online or, to order by phone, call 1-866-SNOWJOE
• Do not use an extension cord over 100 ft (30 m).
• Do not touch the appliance or its plug with wet hands
or while standing in water. Wearing rubber boots
offers some protection.
EXTENSION CORD CHART
Min. Wire Gauge (A.W.G.):
50 ft (15 m)
100 ft (30 m)
4. To prevent the appliance cord from disconnecting from
the extension cord during operation, use the onboard
extension cord restraint hook and/or make a knot with the
two cords as shown in Table 1.
5. Do not abuse the cord. Never pull the garden cultivator
by the cord or yank the cord to disconnect it from the
receptacle. Keep the cord away from heat, oil, and sharp
(B) Connect plug and receptacle
(A) Tie cord as shown
Table 1. Method of Securing Extension Cord
The following table depicts and describes safety symbols that may appear on this product. Read, understand, and follow all
instructions on the machine before attempting to assemble and operate.
READ THE OPERATOR'S
MANUAL(S) – Read,
understand and follow all
instructions in the user
manual(s) before attempting to
assemble and operate.
SAFETY ALERT – Indicates
a precaution, a warning or
DOUBLE INSULATION – When
servicing, use only identical
WARNING! Do not expose the
unit to rain or wet conditions.
WARNING! Rotating parts may
cause serious injury. Make sure
the tines come to a complete
stop before transporting the
machine or before inspecting,
cleaning or conducting any
WARNING! Keep electrical
extension cord away from tines.
Wear eye protection, breathing
protection and ear protection
(i.e. safety goggles, dust masks
and ear defenders).
SWITCH OFF! Remove plug
from the outlet immediately if
the cord is damaged or cut.
SWITCH OFF! Remove plug
from the outlet before cleaning
or conducting maintenance
Beware of foreign objects
that could be thrown from the
appliance. Keep bystanders a
safe distance away from the
Know Your Electric Garden Cultivator
Read the owner’s manual and safety instructions carefully before operating the electric garden cultivator. Compare the illustration
below to the electric garden cultivator in order to familiarize yourself with the location of the various controls and adjustments.
Save this manual for future reference.
120 V ~ 60 Hz
No Load Speed
300 rpm (approx.)
46 in. to 53 in.
(116.8 cm to 135 cm)
4 steel tilling blades
Cultivating Width (Max)
6.3 in. (16 cm)
Cultivating Depth (Max)
6 in. (15 cm)
10 lbs (4.6 kg)
1. Trigger switch
2. Operating handle
3. Safety lock button
4. Auxiliary handle
5. Locking knob
6. Extension cord restraint hook
7. Appliance cord
8. Telescoping tube
9. Adjustable slide lock button
11. Air outlet
12. Steel blade tines
• Electric cultivator housing
• Auxiliary handle
• Locking knob
• Manual with registration card
1. Carefully remove the electric cultivator and check to see
that all of the above items are supplied.
2. Inspect the product carefully to make sure no breakage or
damage occurred during shipping. If you find damaged or
missing parts, DO NOT return the unit to the store. Please
call the Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
customer service center at
NOTE: Do not discard the shipping carton and packaging
material until you are ready to use the electric cultivator.
The packaging is made of recyclable materials. Properly
dispose of these materials in accordance with local
regulations or save the packaging for long-term product
IMPORTANT! The equipment and packaging material are not
toys. Do not let children play with plastic bags, foils, or small
parts. These items can be swallowed and pose a suffocation
Always disconnect the power cord prior
to disassembling or mounting of parts and accessories in
order to reduce the risk of injury. Use of any other parts not
recommended and can result in injury.
Machine Body and Handle Assembly
1. Unpack the cultivator, auxiliary handle, and locking knob
2. Snap the auxiliary handle onto the machine (Fig. 2).
3. Insert the locking knob through the auxiliary handle, and
screw tightly (Fig. 2). The angle of the auxiliary handle can
be adjusted by loosening the locking knob, re-positioning
the handle, and tightening the knob.
To reduce the risk of damage or injury, only
use tines that are manufactured for use with this cultivator. Do
not use any other type of tines.
NOTE: Before using this cultivator, make sure that the power
source you will use complies with the specifications detailed in
This machine is intended for breaking up and cultivating
coarse soil for the purpose of mixing in fertilizer, peat
and compost in domestic areas. Any use other than that
specifically named in this manual may lead to damage to the
tool and/or present a serious hazard to the operator.
The operator or user of the tool is responsible for any damage
or injury caused to other persons or property. Only adults
should operate the cultivator. Children and persons unfamiliar
with the manual must not be allowed to use the tool. Do not
use the tool in rain or damp surroundings. The manufacturer
shall not be held liable for damage arising from improper use
or incorrect operation of the cultivator.
• Keep hands away from blades.
• Disconnect the power cord and wait for blades to come
to a complete stop before making any adjustments,
cleaning or removing debris from blades. NEVER try
to remove an obstruction from the blades while the
cultivator is plugged in.
• Be sure all adjustments knobs, screws or levers are tight
and secure before use.
• Be aware of extension cord while operating the cultivator.
Be careful not to trip over cord. Keep cord away from
tines at all times.
Carelessness, mishandling or error on the
part of the operator may result in bodily injury (e.g. amputation,
projectile impact, or death). The tiller mus t be operated
according to the warnings and guidelines in this manual.
Powering ON + OFF
1. To power ON, first grip the upper handle. Use your thumb
to press the safety lock button, then squeeze the trigger
switch and release the safety lock button (Fig. 3).
2. To power OFF, release the trigger switch (Fig. 3).
Adjusting the Telescoping Tube
1. Disconnect the cultivator from the power supply.
2. Push the adjustable slide lock button and extend the tube
to the desired length (Fig. 4).
3. Lock the tube in position by releasing the slide lock
Failure to lock the telescopic tube as
directed could result in personal injury.
• Check the area to be tilled or cultivated. Look for any
hazards and obstructions that could contribute to unsafe
• Remove all rocks, debris, and other materials that could
become jammed in the tines.
• If the cultivator stops due to a rock or other obstruction
becoming jammed in the tines, you must first unplug the
power cord before removing the blockage.
• Do not till or cultivate in areas where there may be hidden
hazards, such as sprinkler heads and pipes, buried power
cables or gas lines or other similar hazards.
• Do not operate the cultivator on a slope that is too steep
for safe operation.
• Make sure your footing is firm. Keep your feet apart.
Divide your weight evenly on both feet.
Operating the Electric Cultivator
Rotating tines may cause serious injury.
The tines will continue to turn for a few seconds after the
tool has been switched OFF. Do not touch the rotating tines.
Contact with hot components (i.e. motor housing or gear box)
on the machine may cause burns. Allow the machine to cool
off before handling.
NOTE: Use the cultivator for breaking sod, preparing seed
beds, and for cultivating gardens and flower beds.The unit can
also dig small holes for planting sapling or potted plants.
Guide the cultivator using light pressure. Do not force tool.
It will do the job better and safer at the rate for which it was
1. Walk the electric cultivator through the soil at a normal
pace and in as straight a line as possible. Move the unit
slowly forward and back in a rocking motion, first pulling
it backward then letting it "crawl" forward. Repeat this
motion to till deeper into soil.
2. Always till away from the electrical outlet. Ensure the
extension cord is kept away from the work area.
3. Do not try to till too deeply or force the unit into soil that is
extremely hard or resistant.
Note: Overloading the machine will cause it to shut down.
If this occurs the machine will not operate until the motor
has completely cooled down. This is normal and the
cultivator will reset itself.
4. Always maintain a firm grip on the electric cultivator.
5. Lift the electric cultivator over hard surfaces. Never lift or
drag the electric cultivator when the motor is running.
Changing the Tines
NOTE: The tines in the motor housing are provided by the
manufacturer. Only use tines that have been supplied by the
manufacturer. Ensure the tines are in good condition prior to
To replace the tines, using the following procedure:
1. Turn OFF the cultivator and unplug the power cord.
2. Place the unit on a flat surface and stand in a safe
3. Remove the locknut with a socket wrench and
disassemble the blades (Fig. 5).
4. Remove the old blades while taking note of the sequence
of assembly. Install the new blades in the order they were
prior to disassembly. Tighten with the locknut.
(Figs. 6 – 11).
The tines must be set in the correct turning
direction. Note the position of the original tines, and replace
them in the exact same direction.
5. Only use tines that are produced by the manufacturer.
Cleaning, Maintenance +
Unexpected tine movement may cause
personal injury. Before servicing, repairing or inspecting
the unit, turn the motor OFF and disconnect the extension
cord. Wait for the tines to completely stop rotating before
conducting inspection, cleaning or maintenance.
Contact with hot components (i.e. motor
housing or gear box) on the machine may cause burns. Allow
the machine to cool off before handling.
• Wear protective gloves when cleaning or maintaining the
• Do not use cleaning fluids or solvents or spray the
machine down with water (especially pressurized water)
when cleaning the machine.
NOTE: After each use, follow these steps when cleaning the
1. Remove soil, dirt and foliage stuck in the tines, driveshaft,
tool surface and vents with a brush or dry cloth.
2. Spray or rub biodegradable oil into the tines.
3. Clean soiled grips with a damp cloth.
Always inspect the machine for damaged and worn parts after
each use. Check that safety features (labels, guards) are in
place. Check that nuts, bolts and screws are tight.
Service + Support
If your Sun Joe
Aardvark TJ599E electric garden cultivator
requires service or maintenance, please call the Snow Joe
customer service center at 1-866-SNOWJOE
Model + Serial Numbers
When contacting the company, reordering parts or arranging
service from an authorized dealer, you will need to provide the
model and serial numbers, which can be found on the decal
located on the housing of the unit. Copy these numbers into
the space provided below.
Record the following numbers from the housing or handle of your
T J 5 9 9 E
ALWAYS use only authorized Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
replacement parts and accessories. NEVER use
replacement parts or accessories that are not intended for use with this electric tiller + cultivator. Contact Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
if you are unsure whether it is safe to use a particular replacement part or accessory with your electric tiller + cultivator. The use
of any other attachment or accessory can be dangerous and could cause injury or mechanical damage.
NOTE: Accessories are subject to change without any obligation on the part of Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
to provide notice of such
changes. Accessories can be ordered online at snowjoe.com or via phone by contacting the Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
service center at 1-866-SNOWJOE (1-866-766-9563).
+ Sun Joe
Power Joe SJTW-A
14-gauge 50-foot extension cord with
+ SUN JOE
+ Sun Joe
operating under Snow Joe
, LLC warrants
this new product to the original purchaser for two years against
defects in material or workmanship when used for normal
residential purposes. If a replacement part or product is needed,
it will be sent free of charge to the original purchaser except as
The duration of this warranty applies only if the product is put
to personal use around the household. If the product is put to
any business, commercial or industrial use or is rented or leased,
then the duration of this warranty is 90 days from the date of
original purchase. It is the owner’s responsibility to correctly
perform all maintenance and minor adjustments explained in
the owner’s manual.
HOW TO OBTAIN YOUR REPLACEMENT PART OR PRODUCT:
To obtain a replacement part or product, please visit
snowjoe.com/help or email us at email@example.com for
instructions. Please be sure to register your unit beforehand to
speed up this process. Certain products may require a serial
number, typically found on the decal affixed to the housing
or guard of your product. All products require a valid proof
• Wearing parts like belts, augers, chains and tines are
not covered under this warranty. Wearing parts can be
purchased at snowjoe.com or by calling 1-866-SNOWJOE
• Batteries are covered in full for 90-days from the date of
+ Sun Joe
may from time to time change the design
of its products. Nothing contained in this warranty shall be
construed as obligating Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
such design changes into previously manufactured products, nor
shall such changes be construed as an admission that previous
designs were defective.
This warranty is intended to cover product defects only.
, LLC is not liable for indirect, incidental or
consequential damages in connection with the use or misuse of
the Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
products covered by this warranty.
This warranty does not cover any cost or expense incurred
by the purchaser in providing substitute equipment or service
during reasonable periods of malfunction or non-use of this
product while waiting for a replacement part or unit under this
warranty. Some states do not allow exclusions of incidental or
consequential damages so the above exclusions may not apply
in all states. This warranty may give you specific legal rights in
HOW TO REACH US:
We’re here to help Monday through Friday from 9AM to 6PM EST.
You can reach us at 1-866-SNOWJOE (1-866-766-9563), online
at snowjoe.com, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us
Customers who have purchased Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
products exported from the United States and Canada should
contact their Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
distributor (dealer) to obtain
information applicable to your country, province or state. If for
any reason, you are not satisfied with the distributor’s service,
or if you have difficulty obtaining warranty information, contact
your Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
seller. If in the event your efforts are
unsatisfactory, please reach out to us directly.
ABOVE ALL ELSE,
+ Sun Joe
are dedicated to you, our customer. We strive to make your experience
as pleasant as possible. Unfortunately, there are times when a product does not work or breaks under normal
operating conditions. We think it’s important that you know what you can expect from us. That’s why we created
the Snow Joe
+ Sun Joe
+ Sun Joe
warrant new products for two years from the date of purchase. If your product
does not work, or there’s an issue with a specific part, we will fix this by either sending you a free replacement part or
by sending you a new or comparable product at no charge. How cool is that! Before you know it, you’ll be back in
action cutting, sawing, mowing, washing and…?